• "The world's best composer of art songs" —Time Magazine
• Received the Pulitzer Prize in 1976 for his orchestral suite Air Music
• Had championed tonality throughout his career in his lyrical yet forthright music
• His output spanned nearly every musical medium, plus sixteen books
• Recent chamber works have been toured or recorded by the Guarneri String Quartet, the Emerson String Quartet and the Beaux Arts Trio, among others
• Vocal works have been performed and recorded by leading artists including Susan Graham, Brian Azawa, Judy Collins, and Carole Farley
Works by Ned Rorem include:
Lions (A Dream) (1963) for jazz group and orchestra
Concerto for English Horn and Orchestra (1993)
String Quartet No.4 (1995)
Our Town (2005) Opera
> Explore Ned Rorem and his music in our comprehensive brochure.
October 23, 2023 marks Ned Rorem’s 100th year. This season, Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center presents Winter Pages for clarinet, bassoon, violin, cello, and piano (Apr 6), a significant chamber piece that was originally commissioned by CMS in 1981.
"I conceive all music…vocally. Whatever my music is written for—tuba, tambourine, tubular bells—it is always the singer within me crying to get out." — Ned Rorem