• Known for his musical hybridity, combining traditions of classical chamber, Jewish liturgical, and klezmer music with hints of the tango of Astor Piazzolla
• Recipient of the MacArthur "Genius Grant" Fellowship and the Vilcek Prize, as well as two GRAMMY Awards in 2006: Best Opera Recording and Best Contemporary Composition for Ainadamar, released on Deutsche Grammophon
• Has composed several compositions for soprano Dawn Upshaw over the past decade including the Three Songs for Soprano and Orchestra, the opera Ainadamar, and the cycle Ayre.
• In 2006, Lincoln Center presented a sold-out festival called "The Passion of Osvaldo Golijov" featuring multiple performances of his works over the course of two months
• Composed the soundtrack for Francis Ford Coppola's Youth Without Youth and the recently released Tetro
• Carnegie Hall Debs Composer Chair, 2012–13 season
Works by Osvaldo Golijov include:
Ainadamar (2003) opera
La Pasión según San Marcos (2000) for soloists, chorus, and orchestra
Ayre (2004) for soprano and ensemble
Azul (2006) for cello, obbligato group and orchestra
Last Round (1996) for string orchestra or string nonet
For personal appearances by Mr. Golijov, please contact:
Opus 3 Artists LLC
470 Park Avenue South - 9th Floor North
New York, NY 10016
Attn: Jonathan Brill, Executive Vice President
Phone: +1 (212) 584-7518
Fax: +1 (646) 300-8218
Also visit Osvaldo Golijov's website at www.osvaldogolijov.com.
Looking Ahead: Golijov’s Ainadamar, directed by Olivier Award-winning choreographer and director Deborah Colker, receives a new production in 2022-2023, co-produced by Detroit Opera, Opera Ventures, Scottish Opera, Welsh National Opera, and The Metropolitan Opera. The touring production debuted at Scottish Opera in October—marking the work’s Scottish premiere—and travels to Detroit Opera in April, with more performances to be announced.
"The music is full of passion, humor, tragedy and all the complexity of life." —Richard Dyer, Boston Globe