• Noted for his highly individual idiom, a multi-layered play of rhythm and bright sonorities
• Winner of several awards from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and a Kennedy Center Friedheim Award.
• Integrates his love for blues and rock guitar into many works, including Troubadour Songs (1991) for string quartet and electric guitar; Physical Property (1992) for electric guitar and string quartet; and Orpheus Unsung, an electric guitar opera.
• Dreamhouse (2003) for solo baritone, vocal quartet, electric guitar quartet and orchestra, nominated for four GRAMMY awards
• Orchestral works have been commissioned by the American Composers Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra, New World Symphony Orchestra, LA Phil, San Francisco Symphony, St. Louis Symphony, and New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, among others.
• Professor of composition at Princeton University and director of the Edward T. Cone Composition Institute
Works by Steven Mackey include:
Stumble to Grace (2011) for piano and orchestra
Dreamhouse (2003) for solo baritone, vocal quartet, electric guitar quartet and orchestra
Beautiful Passing (2008) for violin and orchestra
Physical Property (1992) for electric guitar and string quartet
Eating Greens (1993) for orchestra
Gaggle and Flock (2001) for string octet
"I imagine...a kind of vernacular music from a culture that doesn't really exist." — Steven Mackey