• Find us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Follow us on Instagram
  • View Our YouTube Channel
  • Listen on Spotify
  • View our scores on nkoda

View all answers Hide Answers

How do I obtain a licence to perform an opera / ballet / dance work / musical?

We often have to request approvals from composers or composer estates before issuing a performance licence, so please contact us as early as possible in your planning process so that we can advise you of any restrictions. If permission is granted, we can provide a quote and issue a licence. Request a licence

How long does it take to get a licence?

We will do our best to secure any necessary approvals from composers or composer estates as quickly as possible, but this process can take some time so please get in touch as early as possible in your planning process. Once the necessary permissions are in place, we can normally issue a licence quickly. Request a licence

Can Boosey & Hawkes issue licences for performances anywhere in the world?

Yes, either from one of our own offices or via our international network of agents. Once you have completed an application your enquiry will be channelled to the appropriate office. If there are any territories where we do not control the rights in the work(s) you wish to perform we will do our best to put you in touch with the relevant rights holders. Request a licence

Do I need a licence if I am creating a dance piece to a recording?

Yes, you need a licence covering the rights in the musical work whether performing with live accompaniment or to a recording. If you are planning to use a recording you will also need to obtain a separate licence from the record company. Request a licence

Do I need a licence if I am creating a dance piece to a ‘concert work’ (i.e. a musical work not originally created for dance use)?

Yes, choreography to any musical work constitutes a grand right, and therefore you must apply for permission and a licence from the rights holder. Request a licence

Does Boosey & Hawkes represent any choreographic rights?

No, to seek permission to use an existing choreography you must apply to the choreographer or choreographer’s representative/estate for permission and negotiate a separate licence.

Do I need a licence if my performance is not for profit (e.g. private performance, free admission, proceeds donated to charity)?

Yes, all theatrical presentations regardless of scale and whether there is a paying audience require permission and a licence, but of course we do take all the circumstances of your performance into consideration when providing a quote. Request a licence

Do I need a licence if I am performing an opera without an orchestra and I have purchased vocal scores?

If you are performing an opera that is not in the public domain, a grand rights license is still required. It is always best to confirm with us whether or not that is the case. Please enquire

Do I need a grand rights licence if I am performing an opera or theatrical work strictly in concert?

Yes, even an opera performed without staging requires a grand rights license. Request a licence

What do I do if I want to film, stream or broadcast my performance?

Any film, streaming or broadcast exploitation requires permission and an additional licence from us. Request a licence

Stay updated on the latest composer news and publications